Path of the Paño Pico
This practically flat profile trail starts in the Arrayanes neighborhood and follows one of the most important roads that connected the Minas de Arrayanes with Linares. After passing the Pozo Acosta, where the extraction machinery house, chimney and auxiliary buildings are still preserved, the itinerary crosses the tracks of the old mining streetcar, now dismantled, on two occasions: one, as it passes by the Pozo Restauración, and the other, before reaching the Pozo San José and the power plant. The section between both wells coincides with the PR-A 261 "Cerro de las Mancebas" trail, which allows us to combine the route.
In the Pozo Restauración, opened between 1844 and 1850, the building that housed the mining railroad's locomotive garage and workshop stands out. In the Pozo de San José, next to the road, you can still see the place called "Bajada de la Reina", made for a visit of Isabel II to the first gallery.
We pass by the Pozo Cadenas and later by the Lavadero Vimora, an example of natural regeneration of the vegetation of the area.
The path continues to Paño Pico (geodesic vertex) and the La Mejicana Mine, where it is possible to enjoy unbeatable panoramic views of the area: in the distance La Carolina and Baños de la Encina, closer to the Hoyo de San Bartolomé, Cerro de las Mancebas, etc. From La Mejicana, an old path among oaks, interrupted by an olive grove, leads to Chimenea de la Cruz, one of the highest in the area that reached a height of 100 m (today it is 57 m), and where the path shares the same route as PR-A 261. We pass by the Cadenas Well and later by the Vimora Laundry, an example of natural regeneration of the vegetation in the area, to go around the urbanization until we end up at the La Cruz Foundry, where all kinds of lead products were once manufactured, and which will be the headquarters of the future Interpretation Center.