Antiguo Hospital de San Miguel
Building today disappeared, which was built on the site that today occupies the town hall. The date of its construction is not known but through the study of different sources they bring it closer to the 13th century, framed in the context of the Christian reconquest under the baton of Ferdinand III the Saint. In 1244 Arjona was conquered and as such Brotherhoods began to be formed under the invocation of a saint, to which aid to the most disadvantaged was added.
The first data on the existence of the Hospital de San Miguel is given by Jimena Jurado "History or Annals of the Albense Urgavonense Municipality" 1643, arguing that in 1488 a total of six hospitals were cited in Arjona (Santa María, San Miguel, San Juan , Santiago, San Bartolomé, Santa Olaya).
Another piece of information that demonstrates the antiquity of these Hospitals is found in 1542, when the Supreme Pontiff issued his Bull to make an inventory of the number of hospitals in Spain, requesting that those that due to their poverty did not satisfy basic needs be removed. Heeding the Bull, the council together with the officers of the town's brotherhoods meet and decide to reduce all the hospitals to one, leaving only the San Miguel Hospital, which was better located and with greater capacity.
Regarding the location, there is no doubt that it occupied the left sidewalk of what is now Hospital Street and the old La Plaza Street (today Cervantes). The most obvious proof of its location is found in a drawing from 1628, published by Don Juan González in "History of the City of Arjona" 1905.
At the end of the seventeenth century the family of the perpetual ruler of the town Corrales Javalera served as endowments, highlighting the breadth of its rooms, highlighting one the oratory above all. Since this date, the historical reviews that refer to the aforementioned hospital are notable, highlighting that of Don Pascual Madoz, who, in his "Geographical, statistical and historical dictionary of Spain" 1845 writes "Arjona ... .. has a Hospital titled San Miguel, with public oratory, founded in 1665 by Don Bernabé Corrales Javalera… .. Said hospital is run by an administrator and has a surgeon and nurse to assist suffering humanity of both sexes admitted to it ”.
The advance of the centuries, the new laws inherited from the French tradition, of public hygiene and urban police, surround the location of the hospital. Such ordinances set in motion the mechanisms for the new location of the Hospital, June 1863 in an act of the Council "authorization is requested from the governor to enable the Casa del Rey and provisionally enable the hospital ..." Said house located in the Plaza de Santa María belonged to Don José Pérez de Herrasti, which gave up for a small fee, thus kneeling the works to move the Hospital to that place, leaving the works completed in 1868, as shown by the letter that the Architect d. José María Cuenca, (architect of the province), issues to the mayor of the town.
Since then and after undergoing several renovations such as the one that occurred in 1924, in which part of it collapsed, it has served as a reference in the treatment of the sick, specializing in primary care, until in the 90s of the 20th century when They build a new hospital complex in Arjona. The site that this hospital occupied underwent a series of renovations at the end of the 20th century, passing through the Youth Information Center, until today it becomes the Juan Eslava Galán Museum of Arts and Customs and the Ciudad de Arjona Archaeological Museum, together with the “Fundación Corrales Javalera” nursing home, which follows the legacy used by Bernabé Corrales Javalera in the second half of the 17th century.