Iglesia de la Asunción

Calle Juan Martín, 1. 23500, Jódar How to get

With a classical Renaissance façade, the town's main temple dates from the mid-16th century, when it was built on the site of an old church of Santa María, which in turn was located on the main mosque. It has a Latin cross floor plan with side chapels in the style of Andres de Vandelvira. Cannon vault cover and dome on pendentive in the transept. The transept, the presbytery and the chancel are from 1775.

The beautiful tower is the work of Juan de Aranda (1640) decorated with episcopal shields. The façade is neoclassical from the end of the 18th century, the work of Manuel Caballero, one of the best in the province due to its graceful proportions. Embedded in the wall, there is the valuable 'Ibero-Latin inscription of Galdur', the ancient birthplace of Jódar, from the 1st century AD. This practice served to enhance classical antiquity, where this architectural style found its roots.


It was built on the primitive Mosque, documented by the Arab geographer Al-Himyari, who mentions that it was made of "three naves supported by marble columns."

Its original invocation was that of Santa María, unknown what the original building was like, only that the Main Altar was oriented to the west and its main door to the north, next to the so-called “Fuente del Lugar”. The first documentary data on the works of the current temple date back to the year 1547, bringing the stone from the Bedmar quarry. In 1569 the Maestro Domingo de Uriarte worked there. From 1582 to 1589 the work was in charge of Juan Vizcaino. In 1591, the brothers Gaspar and Francisco de Aranda were mentioned as builders and master stonemasons, building the central nave with its six side chapels with coffered vaults, much like Vandelvira, who was the supervisor of the works of the temples of the Diocese. The whole built is in the Renaissance-purist style.

In 1613 the construction of the Tower began, according to the plan of Juan de Aranda Salazar with a baroque style. In it, three shields belonging to the Bishops are carved in stone: Sancho Dávila, Cardenal Moscoso and Fernando Andrade, intervening in the work the Masters Francisco de Zamora, Alonso Galan, Andrés and Diego Guerrero, being completed in 1661 by Eufrasio López de Rojas, with a Sancho Dávila shield inside. One of its four bells is from 1794.

In 1729 the head or Main Chapel was repaired by Juan de Consuegra. From 1771 to 1780 the current transept, the Main Chapel and the Evangelists dome were built in neoclassical style with details of the rococo in the dome that was built by Pedro Fernández, Manuel and Juan Armenteros. In 1799 the pulpits and bleachers were placed, beginning the construction of the Main Facade in neoclassical style by Manuel Caballero who finished it, together with the choir in 1801. According to some historians, the façade is one of the best in the province due to its graceful proportions. In 1864 the Chapels of La Expiración and the Baptismal were built. In 1877 the construction works of the Chapel of San José, directed by the Architect Pedro Pascual Samaniego, with an elegant soulmate, which is decorated with interesting frescoes from 1915, finished. From 1989 to 1992 the temple underwent a deep restoration adding elements that further enhance its interior such as several altarpieces in Macael marble and stone, the magnificent grille and stalls of the Chapel of San José, lighting, etc.